Samaritan Ministry is able to meet the needs of our participants with the tremendous support of people like you — people who share our core values and concern for others in the community.
Nearly 75 percent of our staff members are amazing volunteers who contribute vital services, putting in more than 16,000 volunteer hours in 2019. They assist our neighbors dealing with poverty in overcoming the challenges they face each day by serving as caseworkers, workshop leaders, resume writers, front office coordinators and in a variety of other important roles.
Together, we make a real difference in the lives of program participants, and we invite you to join us. Whatever your skills or experiences, you can find meaningful opportunities to help us fulfill our mission.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete a volunteer inquiry form or email Volunteer Coordinator Sy Jones: SJones@samaritanministry.org
Current Volunteer Needs
Pantry Coordinator: Northwest Office
1516 Hamilton Street, NW Washington, DC 20011
- Maintain a clean and organized pantry
- Stock food items onto shelves by food type and expiration date
- Check expiration dates and discard expired items
- Prepare food bags and food supplies for other Samaritan Ministry Offices
- Ability to stand for length of time and lift up to 30 pounds
If Interested Please Contact:
Sy Jones, Volunteer Manager
Volunteers in Action!
- Volunteer Spotlight: Marsha ObusekMarsha Obusek has been a Front Office Coordinator (FOC) at the Northwest office since 2017. She warmly welcomes participants, visitors and staff and has always been willing to go above and beyond. You can usually find her at the front office desk on Tuesdays, however, she can be seen on other days when she has answered the call to come …
- Volunteer Spotlight: Michael KonefalWe are pleased to introduce you to Northwest Volunteer Michael Konefal from our partner church St. John’s Norwood, Chevy Chase, MD. Michael started volunteering in early December and has made an extraordinary contribution to SMGW. By applying his formidable organizing skills to our basement storage area, he’s tackled the perennial challenge of sorting and organizing our clothing closets, food pantries and toiletry …
- Volunteer Spotlight: Margaret HiltonMargaret Hilton has been a Resume Assistant at Samaritan Ministry’s Northwest DC Office since August of 2017. She came to Samaritan after retiring from nineteen years at the National Academy of Sciences, where she was one of the earlier women to lead a team. She is a parishioner at St John’s Chevy Chase in Maryland. She heard about SMGW from …