Samaritan Ministry is able to meet the needs of our participants with the tremendous support of people like you — people who share our core values and concern for others in the community.
Nearly 75 percent of our staff members are amazing volunteers who contribute vital services, putting in more than 16,000 volunteer hours in 2019. They assist our neighbors dealing with poverty in overcoming the challenges they face each day by serving as caseworkers, workshop leaders, resume writers, front office coordinators and in a variety of other important roles.
Together, we make a real difference in the lives of program participants, and we invite you to join us. Whatever your skills or experiences, you can find meaningful opportunities to help us fulfill our mission.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete a volunteer inquiry form or email Volunteer Coordinator Sy Jones: SJones@samaritanministry.org
Current Volunteer Needs
Front Office Coordinator (FOC)
Northwest: 1516 Hamilton St, NW, WDC 20011
Anacostia/Southeast: 1345 U St, SE, WDC 20020
Arlington: 2207 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA 22204
- Welcome program participants and offer individual attention
- Sort mail
- Answer the telephone and take messages for staff and program participants
- Assist with distribution and giveaway events
- Help maintain a clean and neat office
- Other duties as needed
Digital Literacy Trainer (Remote)
- Help Participants with basic computer literacy skills such as:
- turning the device on, using a keyboard, and a mouse
- basic word processing: creating and saving a document, highlighting, and editing
- using email, attaching documents, cutting and pasting, replying as appropriate
- using the web to conduct productive internet searches to find reliable information
Volunteers in Action!
- Volunteer Spotlight: Nancy CalvertSpecial Holiday Talent from a Special FOC (Front Office Coordinator) Nancy Calvert, Parish Representative from St Alban’s Annandale, also serves as the Wednesday FOC at the Samaritan Ministry of Greater Washington Arlington location. Last November when she learned about the annual Thanksgiving distribution of seasonal food and grocery gift cards to ongoing Participants, Nancy had an idea – and the …
- Volunteer Spotlight: Marsha ObusekMarsha Obusek has been a Front Office Coordinator (FOC) at the Northwest office since 2017. She warmly welcomes participants, visitors and staff and has always been willing to go above and beyond. You can usually find her at the front office desk on Tuesdays, however, she can be seen on other days when she has answered the call to come …
- Volunteer Spotlight: Michael KonefalWe are pleased to introduce you to Northwest Volunteer Michael Konefal from our partner church St. John’s Norwood, Chevy Chase, MD. Michael started volunteering in early December and has made an extraordinary contribution to SMGW. By applying his formidable organizing skills to our basement storage area, he’s tackled the perennial challenge of sorting and organizing our clothing closets, food pantries and toiletry …