NORTHWEST AND NORTHEAST (DC)
Hiring Immediately – Full-time
The Lead Caseworker (LC) divides his/her time between our established NW DC office and a new site on the border of NW DC and NE DC on the grounds of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. At that location, he/she will establish and maintain a reliable SMGW presence in the area through outreach, advocacy, casework, and support. As team leader for the NE DC office, the LC supervises volunteers, provides casework, creates, and expands community partnerships, and manages the office. This role presents a unique opportunity to develop a strategic outreach plan for establishing our presence in the community at a new site. The LC reports to the Program Director.
SMGW is a faith-based, non-profit organization committed to empowering program participants to realize significant and positive life change. Through a practice of rigorous compassion and coaching, trained caseworkers, specialists, and instructors, partner with participants who set life goals in the areas of employment, housing, education, health, and benefits, then identify the smaller “next steps” required to meet those goals. SMGW is comprised of a diverse team of staff and volunteers who are also committed to community change through deliberate, ongoing, and collective action to end systemic racism, while seeking equity for all people. SMGW has no religious requirements for its participants or employees and welcomes all.
Community Cultivation and Engagement
- Co-design and implement evolving outreach and engagement strategy.
- Cultivate relationships with community partner organizations in the NE DC area, with the objective of establishing pipelines for prospective participants.
- Develop, sustain, and grow positive relationships with local service providers and potential referral sources for all SMGW services.
- Strengthen our connection with host congregation (St. Paul’s Church, Rock Creek Parish) by collaborating with parish staff and volunteers to coordinate efforts to help participants and visitors from the church’s community.
- Serve as team leader, establishing and ensuring an inclusive and collaborative workplace.
- Supervise volunteers and casework interns. Collaborate with Program Director and Volunteer Manager to identify opportunities for volunteer engagement.
- Oversee collection and distribution of in-kind donations (e.g., food, toiletries, PPE, etc.) to support program participants, in coordination with Pantry Manager and Volunteer Manager.
- Monitor allocation of direct services (e.g., financial assistance, Metro cards, toiletries, food) and track approved disbursements. Collaborate with peers across sites to ensure consistent processes.
- Ensure proper functioning of office equipment and IT services related to program delivery, communicating any concerns with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Perform and/or assign daily housekeeping tasks to ensure a clean, organized office.
- Ensure adequate supply of program materials (e.g., forms, resource directories, flyers) and other supplies (e.g., PPE, office supplies, participant resources such as non-perishable food & toiletries).
Casework and Casework Oversight
- Provide casework services to all those who request assistance in accordance with SMGW policies. This includes conducting intakes, formalizing, and implementing the ID voucher process, and assisting participants with various goal-related tasks (e.g., online job applications, housing applications, etc.).
- Provide supervision for Casework Associates/Intern Caseworkers at the Northeast DC office.
- Refer participants to appropriate in-house services (e.g., job development) and or outside community resources and maintain follow up as needed.
- Create/update participant records within three days of service, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Maintain other participant files as appropriate, ensuring the confidentiality of participant information in accordance with SMGW’s confidentiality/boundaries policy.
- Participate in SMGW special events, sharing information and success stories about SMGW participants; assists event staff as needed to ensure event success.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and organizational events, as requested.
- Take on other duties as assigned.
- At least three years of casework experience in social/human services with adult populations, or three years of related experience. demonstrating increasing responsibility and leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. At least five years of casework experience in social/human services with adult populations, or related experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Ability to work within an organizational framework, while recognizing and responding to the unique needs of the community. Proven supervisory/leadership experience is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in the Washington, DC area and its resources.
- Experience with or in DC social services, both public and community based strongly preferred.
- Database experience required; Salesforce preferred. Comfortable with Zoom, Outlook, WORD, etc., as well as digital research and recordkeeping.
- Public speaking experience highly desirable, to facilitate outreach and ongoing interaction with other agencies and prospective participants.
- Capacity to work occasional non-traditional hours and travel throughout various parts of the metropolitan area as needed.
- Nature of the work largely requires in-person presence, with limited exceptions.
Salary: Starting salary range is $50,000 – $60,000. Higher compensation within the range will be based on significant relevant experience, demonstrated success in producing program impact, and/or additional credentials. Actual starting salaries are competitive with similarly sized non-profits in the Washington area.
To apply, send resume and cover letter, explaining why you think you are a match for this position and for SMGW. Please address the letter to Rev. David B. Wolf, Executive Director, 1516 Hamilton Street, NW, Washington, DC 20011. Please e-mail your material to our recruiter, Mr. John Capozzi at C Associates, Cassociatesstaffing@gmail.com.